Uncovering IRAS GST Audit Focus Areas: GST Controls System for Effective GST Management
18 May 2021, Tuesday
Hotel Venue to be Advised
Please click here
for more details and here
Please refer to organiser’s webpage here.
GST administration in Singapore has evolved rapidly, and the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the IRAS approach and know-how of the commercial environment, through the utilisation of technology to gain an overview, as well as detailed analysis of targeted GST registered businesses (GRBs). Hence, the focus of GST audit by IRAS has moved away from just surface review of GST reports to in-depth analysis of the GST controls systems put in place by GRBs. This has enabled IRAS to address the root cause of GRBs operational concerns and gaps that is contributing to incorrect GST reporting and heavy penalties payable.
In this timely and highly practical workshop, we will examine and evaluate the contributing factors to GST gaps observed and how GRBs could minimise them to ensure effective GST management.
- Revisit of GST Fundamentals
- To know areas about GST
- GST classification reference point
- The A.M.A. concept
- The Roles Accounting System and Available Technology Play (e.g. analytics, artificial intelligence) to Better Support GST Reporting and GST Risk Minimisation
- Importance of GST logics and tax codes
- Controls specification and fine tuning required in the accounting system
- Regular testing of the controls
- Exception reports
- Relying on technology to make GST risk management fun
- Controls Applicable at Transaction Levels
- Duplicate verification function and its effectiveness
- Ability to modify base value and GST amount
- Audit trails
- The WHAT, WHY, WHEN and HOW Accounting and Tax professionals should Evolve to Effectively Manage GST Risk and Keep Penalties to a Minimum
- 3Ws to apply when keying and verifying transactions
- How to ascertain completeness of GST reporting
- GST Reporting Aspect and the Controls Available to Support GRBs in its GST Reporting
- Importance of Chart of Accounts
- Looking at AP aging report
- Recent Updates on Taking GRBs Forward
- IRAS recent audit initiatives
About the Presenter(s)/ Trainer(s)
Mr Richard OngGST Partner
Richard joined the firm as an associate director and head of the GST division, before becoming a partner in 2015. He has more than 10 years' experience in GST with the IRAS, a Big 4 firm and United Test and Assembly Center Ltd (UTAC). His professional experience with the Big 4 firm and UTAC resulted in tax savings for clients and the company respectively.
Richard has spoken at public seminars in Singapore and Malaysia on topics such as Understanding Goods & Services Tax, Managing GST Risks, the GST Assisted Self-help Kit (ASK) and Malaysia GST. He has also written numerous GST articles.
Upcoming Events You May Also Be Interested In